Wells P. Bailey House, Lyndon, Kansas

The Bailey House had set just east of Lyndon for 127 years. In the summer a 1997, a grass fire burned away some of the house’s clapboard siding, revealing that the house was actually made of logs. Early research suggested that the house may have been built by the U.S. Government for the Sac & Fox Indians, in about 1860. To save the historical house, it was moved to the Lyndon City Park in October, 1997. To learn more about the Bailey House, use the links above.

The Wells P. Bailey House, Lyndon, Kansas
The Historic Preservation Partnership of Lyndon, Inc. (HPPL
) was organized in early 1997 in response to the discovery of the Bailey House.  After learning that the land on which the Bailey House originally set was being sold, HPPL contacted the owners, who generously agreed to donate the house—with the stipulation that it had to be moved offsite. 

The Historic Preservation Partnership of Lyndon raised funds and accepted donations to have the house moved to the Lyndon City Park. The house was moved in October of 1997. HPPL members have performed extensive research on the Bailey House, worked to place the house on the Register of Historic Kansas Places, and been instrumental in working with preservation professionals in the restoration of the house.

Visit the Bailey House

The Lyndon City Park is open to the public from 6:00 am to 10:00 pm daily, and the outside of the Bailey House can be viewed during that time. However the interior of the Bailey House is open only on special occasions or by appointment.

The first story is made up of two larger rooms and the upper story contains four rooms opening off of the staircase. You may view interior photos on this site. Watch a short video briefly telling the story of the Bailey House.

Moving the Bailey House

In October 1997, the Bailey House was moved to the Lyndon City Park. To view photos of the preparation and move click on the photo below:

Moving the Bailey House

Bailey House
in Osage County

The Sac & Fox were moved from their ancestral home in the Western Great Lakes region to Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, and then to Kansas—arriving in the area of Osage county in about 1846. They became an early part of local history tied to the Bailey House.

Sac and Fox heritage

The Wells P. Bailey House symbolizes a transition of two cultures. It stands today as a reminder of both our Native American and pioneer heritage. For more information contact us at wpbaileyhouse@gmail.com